Friday, April 27, 2012

Re-coloring hair that has been stripped?

I had been coloring my hair black, and then wanted to go back to my original color - I'm a brunette. After the black had been stripped, my hair was a shade of red. I then had it colored to brown, so that as my hair grew in, it would be fine. Or so I was told. The color faded very quickly, and is now back to the reddish shade.



I was later told that when you strip the color, it's not possible to re-color. Now I'm waiting for it to grow out. It's either that, or I may just have to color my roots a shade of red to match the rest, because I don't like to look unkept.



I have long hair, so I think it will be at least a half a year to be able to cut the rest. Even then it will be a lot shorter.



Any ideas or options?



Re-coloring hair that has been stripped?

The tricky part of color correction is the condition of the hair. It was the right thing to do to remove the black and to color the hair. However ALL hair color will require upkeep. Had they applied a perm brown over the red it would cause even more damage and leave the hair more quickly. The best result is to cover with a semi-perm in a cool tone. Do not wash again for 24-48 hours. Use only safe and or color depositing shampoo in the appropriate brown tone. Keep your hair out of sun, tanning beds and be gentle with heat. Be prepared to have the semi done in again in 4 weeks. You just need to be recolored- there is no problem here.



Re-coloring hair that has been stripped?

I have severly damage hair from coloring its terrible to put color on color.. I wish I knew that before.. but I guess is all you CAN do is wait until grows out if you want your natural color back because you won't find the shade that is exactly yours because its fade and VERY difficult.. just keep your hair healthy and not coloring it.. I know it is hard because I have to grow out mines because of the damage.



Re-coloring hair that has been stripped?

First off whoever told you that it's not possible to re-color hair that has been stripped is completely WRONG. To go lighter you have to strip out the color cuz color does not lift color. After the hair has been stripped it might take 2 or 3 times to get the color to hold depending on how porous the hair is. To go from black to a brunette the hair should off been lifted beyond the red stage especially if you didn't want red. My best advise i can give you is to find a different stylist and have your hair color to the shade of brown that you want. Like I said before it could take 2-3 times to hold.....Best of Luck!!!!!!



Re-coloring hair that has been stripped?

TRY WHITE OUT FROM HOT TOPIC. IT TAKES ALL THE COLOR OUT AND HAS A CONDITIONER WITH IT. THEN WHATEVER COLOR YOU PUT ON YOUR HAIR WILL WORK.



Re-coloring hair that has been stripped?

Hi, I am a stylist and National Educator for John Paul Mitchell Systems, it is absolutely wrong that you cannot recolor hair that has been stripped. however your stylist who lifted you to a red stage was actually doing it correctly, the fact is that the more you strip (or lighten) the color the more color you have to put back in and the more times it will take to get your color to hold. hair that has been lightened is usually extremely porous and because of that reason (think of your hair as a sponge with alot of holes) color will tend to wash out of those areas more quickly. there are 2 solutions for you. the one i reccomend is to have your stylist use a demi-permanent color in the desired shade, you may have to do this a few times because it will take some time for those (holes) to fill in.... the reason behind using a demi-permanent in this case, is that these colors have a very low or no amonia content, and are also processed with a very low level of peroxide.... this does not open up the cuticle (outside layer of hair, think: shingles on a roof) and helps to fill in the porosity... the other is that they are relatively low maintenance and most tend to have extra conditioning formulas to help repair the hair and add extra shine. your other option is to have your stylist prep your hair first with a filler (this is usually done with a demi, or semi permanent color) and then go over this with a permanent color. the reason i suggest the first rather than the latter (although both work) is that permanent color uses amonia and a higher level of peroxide wich will again open up the cuticle and can cause the hair color to fade more quickly. i hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment