Monday, May 7, 2012

Why doesn't my hairdresser want to use filler before coloring my damaged hair?

My hair is bleached out blond by color and highlights. It's very damaged and porous and will not hold color. I'm naturally dark brown and right now my roots are showing. I want my hairdresser to dye my hair back to dark brown so I can just let my hair heal and be healthy again. I have suggested to her that she will have to put a filler on before the coloring and she doesn't believe in fillers. She told me they were a waste of money. What she does is color the hair twice so it will better grab the color. She once put dark lowlights in my hair several months ago and they washed right out. I suggested to her then about the filler. She doesn't believe in them. Will coloring my hair twice keep the color or will it need a filler first? Please help! She is the professional and suppose to know what is best, but I'm wandering.



Why doesn't my hairdresser want to use filler before coloring my damaged hair?

A filler is used to replace the underlying pigments that would occur in natural hair at that level. if you want a level 5( dark brown hair) your stylist should first apply a red to your hair, wash it out. dry and apply your new brown. if you were painting a new white wall red would you just slap the red on. No your would use a tinted primer first( your filler) then apply the red.Maybe you need to find a stylist who will use fillers. You need to keep up your end as well and use good color shampoo and conditioners to help your new color from fading. not washing your hair too often. and when out in the sun cover up your hair.



Why doesn't my hairdresser want to use filler before coloring my damaged hair?

Even though she is saying she is not using a "filler" she sort of is since she is using a dark color first then another color over that one. Like you said your hair is damaged and will not hold the color. I once had a client that had bleached her whole head and wanted to go back her natural light brown and we put a color on her every 2 months for almost a year before it stayed. (By that time I think it really all just got cut off.) I think what your stylist is doing is just as good as any.



Why doesn't my hairdresser want to use filler before coloring my damaged hair?

A filler is really a no-lift, deposit-only (no lightening, only darkening) haircolor that restores warm tones in bleached hair. Dark brown hair is a combination of red, blue, yellow, and black pigments (the primary colors). If you throw a dark brown dye on bleached hair that has not been "filled" with a warmer color such as gold and red, it will turn greenish because the blue and black pigments are showing through more than the red and yellow. To give your hair a natural look, it is important to add a lot of red and yellow (or gold) back. This is why colorists "fill" bleached hair. Whether your stylist uses a filler or colors your hair twice, the idea is to first put the warm hues back in your hair and then "tone" it again to a nice, natural-looking brown. Think of it as reverse bleaching. When you go blonde, the colorist would bleach first and then tone. Now, in the reverse process, the hair will have to be filled first and then colored (or colored twice with different proportions of primary colors).



In short, your colorists did the right thing. If your hair is not holding onto the color, it is because bleached hair is very porous and the artificial pigments are not staying inside the cuticles. Just think of a colander (with large holes) versus a sift (with finer openings). Bleached hair is like a colander. What you might want to do is get a semi-permanent haircolor to keep the color fresh between salon visits without further chemical damage, or purchase a color conditioner to keep adding colors back in your hair everyday. Ask your stylist which ones are the best for your hair. You should also consider washing your hair less frequently and use cooler water. Hot water opens your hair cuticles more, and this will drain the artificial pigments out. Pay attention to the shampoo you use as well. A milder shampoo will prevent color loss.



Hope this helps.



Why doesn't my hairdresser want to use filler before coloring my damaged hair?

Everyone is different when it comes to color. My professional opinion is to use a filler if your hair looks like a muddy or greenish color. Other wise from my experience they aren't fantastic. basically a filler is demi permanent color (3ish months) and its mixed with water. It helps to fill the holes that the bleach has caused. The only thing that is really going to fix your damaged hair is time. I use this often but its true... when you burn toast, its burnt, no matter how much butter you put on it. When hair becomes that porous it is so hard to keep the color molecules in the strand. Maybe choosing a color that is a few shades darker then the one you want would help because it will lighten up. =) good luck with that

No comments:

Post a Comment